Royal Visit to Congleton
There was great excitement when it was announced that HRH the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were to make a visit to Congleton on Wednesday 24 January 2018. With just over a week’s notice we were asked to provide five Guides to form part of the Guard of Honour and two representatives for ‘Our Gang’ to be present in the town hall for the official reception. Names were drawn out of the hat to see who would be selected for the Guard of Honour and after some discussion a Scout and Guide were chosen from Our Gang. Names had to be sent in for security reasons and so that named invitations could be issued which had to be shown on the day.
The day arrived and luckily it was fine by the time we had to arrive at the town hall. It took us a while to find a way through the crowd, which had already started to assemble, and the safety barriers. Once inside the town hall we showed our invitations and were marked off the attendance list. We were shown into an upstairs room where all the schools and guard of honour had to wait until it was time to get into our places. Finger food was provided along with drinks, everyone was making sure they didn’t spill on their uniform and didn’t have sticky fingers in case they had to shake hands with the royal guests.
The signal was given for everyone to be in their places, the Guard of Honour in the entrance with the air cadets, army cadets and the scouts, the others to stand in the area called “Cultural Congleton” which contained all the societies which use the Daneside Theatre, Congleton Museum, Jazz and Blues Festival plus the U3A. We all met one or both of the royal guests and were introduced and shook hands.
These are comments from the girls:
- It was an amazing experience and I was very excited to attend it.
- I spoke to Prince Charles and Camilla who were both lovely.
- This was a great experience and it was nice to talk to them.
- It was better than I had expected and I felt happy that I had been chosen to go.
- This was a one off experience and the invitation is a great reminder that I will treasure.
- It was really exciting to be chosen to be in the town hall for the reception with the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall.
- The Duchess shook my hand and asked about the Gang Show.
- She was very friendly and interested to hear about it.
- All my friends were very happy for me and wanted to hear all about it and the invitation is a lovely memento.